Monday, October 31, 2011

"This is Halloween . . ."

This year I found myself really wondering where Halloween came from.  People have their different ideas as to where it came from, who brought it over, yada yada.  So I did some good old research on Wikipedia.  Let me tell you it is rather interesting.  It states that it is believed that Halloween is heavily influenced by the Christians "All Saints Day," and "All Souls Day" (also known as Hallowmas, All Hallows, and Hallowtide).  This fell on November 1st and 2nd; it was a time for honoring the Saints and praying for the recently departed who had yet to reach heaven.  At the end of the 12th century these days become holy days across Europe that involved the ringing of bells for souls in purgatory, and something called "souling."  Souling is explained as "the custom baking of bread or soul cakes for 'all crysten (christened) souls.'" 

Halloween wasn't really introduced or recognized as a holiday until the 19th century, when the Irish and Scottish immigrated over.   It says even then it was confined to the immigrants, and didn't mainstream until the mid 19th century.  By the 20th century the celebration of Halloween had extended coast to coast.

Ever wonder who thought of going from house to house trick-or-treating for candy?  Well, it actually dates back to the Middle Ages.  It stems from when the poor would go door to door Hallowmas (Nov. 1) and receiving food in return for prayers for the dead on All Souls Day (Nov. 2).  Trick-or-Treating is also known as "Guising."  Children going Guising in Scotland and Ireland would dress up in disguises and go door to door to receive food or coins.  There is a record dated back in 1895 in Scotland on Halloween of "masquearders" in disguies carrying carved turnips to receive cake, fruit, and money.  The first repor of Guising in North American was recorded in Kingston, Ontario in 1911.

Again I found all my info on Wikipedia!  Don't know if you found that as interesting as I did. BUT there you go! Ha ha. 

As for my progress on Crime in Punishment . . . let's just say that this book is a bit harder to read than Dracula.  I don't know what it is.  Fydor is a much "deeper" writer.  He really digs deep into the complexity of the mind.  I'm not really used to that and perhaps that is what is throwing me off.  Hopefully soon I will get into it, because it seems like it has a lot of potential of becoming a great story!  Cross your fingers.  I hope to get further than the 3rd chapter.  Its usually here where I stop reading.  Haha! 

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!

No comments: