I have survived the first week of school! I can honestly say that I am very happy in my decision to go back. To be honest I haven't really felt the full effects of my new schedule. I'm sure I will begin to feel it at the end of next week, if not the next week.
My Biology Professor is a bit odd. She comes across as one of those socially awkward women. Everyone in the lecture hall has to be very quiet as she has a tendency to keep her voice low. Fortunately there is really only about 25-30 of us in the hall so there isn't much noise that can be made to drown out her voice. Right now the first chapter we are studying is that basic overview of everything that is going be covered in the course of our study this semester. Tons of memorizing of concepts, themes, and definitions (good thing I do well at memorization), and also understanding the structures of cells, and their role. Probably doesn't sound too interesting to you, but I am in Heaven!
My Biology Lab is going to be fun! My first day we got to examine a brine shrimp and algae under a microscope. LOVED IT! A brine shrimp is one creepy organism lol. It was awesome, and my lab partner is an awesome guy who is transferred to SLCC from the U of U because of the tuition increase at the U. He is finishing up a few courses here and then plans on going back to the U to finish his degree in physics. The past few days I have going through science article after science article. I have to choose an article that interests me; then I write a background on the subject I chose. From there I write about why the scientists in the article chose to study the subject, and what their hypothesis was. Next, I write about the experiments they did, and the techniques they do, what their results were, and what the results meant. One of the articles that has really interested me is "Effect of Irrigation and Large Dams on the Burden of Malaria on a Global and Regional Scale."
My Chemistry class had an interesting first two days. My first day of Chem. the school hadn't assigned us a teacher. The head of the science department came in and said "You have not been assigned a teacher, but should have one by tomorrow. Read Chapter One, and you are excused." Haha! The second day our Professor was there, and says to the class "I am your Professor. I just found out about this fifteen minutes ago. I will have a syllabus for you tomorrow. Read Chapter One, and I will see you all tomorrow." Everyone was like oooookay? Of course (just like Biology) the first chapter is an overview. Going over what makes a compound, what a homogeneous mixture is, how to figure how fast light travels in a mile, yada yada. But again I am in Heaven!
My Chemistry Lab is going to be just as fun as my bio lab, except I have the potential to blow up the lab if the wrong chemicals are combined. Ha ha. On my Muse side that could be a problem, but if my cousin Josh is a genius there is hope for me!! Ha ha. My Biology Lab partner is also in my Chem Lab, and we may become partners in Chem Lab we just have to see if our Biology partners wouldn't mind making the change lol.
(If you cannot tell I am a Science Nerd! Hence my love of medicine!)
Political Science is turning out to be rather interesting. My Professor is rather funny. He is in his 60's and our first day says "I just got new hearing aids so if I play with my ears forgive me." Ha ha. He then proceeded to make fun of his age. He was great! He also makes politics interesting! Typically when someone tries to talk politics I fall asleep, and a good chunk of that is because I just haven't taken the time to understand it. So I am rather grateful that my Professor makes it interesting cause this class I would definitely fall asleep in otherwise.
English is fabulous. I love writing so I am looking forward to the project that I have to do for the class. We are creating groups of 2-3 people who will write a portfolio on a subject in society that we take great interest in, or that we do not agree with. There is a group piece that is written, and then individual pieces. The girl that I am partnering with is a cute girl. We are going to be writing on the affects of media on society's perceptions. I'm rather excited about this topic.
Needless to say I am rather excited by school, and as you can tell (I hope you can tell) I am happy to be back. I hope you are all having a wonderful January! I know I am!
xoxo McCall
No comments:
Post a Comment